Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Home Safely

Hey everybody, this is John, home safely and loving life in the great state of Texas!

I've been home a couple of days now, but this is the first time we've been able to get internet here, so here it goes.

Not a whole lot going on, watched some Cowboys and Mavs games, hung out with the family, and did a few odds and ends around the house. I'm really sorry about not being able to come up to Utah, just know that I was at least as excited to come up there as you Utah folks were to see me. the good and bad news? I'll be there soon enough, I'm guessing Spring 2010 sometime, probably April-ish. I'm going to post a few pics, and those of you with Facebook can see all of them, but here are a few highlights.

also, any questions you guys have, feel free to ask on here, and I will try to answer them.


f

here I am on top of a Mountain overlooking the city of Asadabad.



the Hindu Kush, where the Western edge of the Himalayas comes through



The city of Asadabad



Half way up the mountain.


showing the path we climbed up the moutain.




the climb still to come



The Afghan beard. Ahhh yeah....
The Market in Asadabad

the main road of Asadabad, complete with the mosque and a small herd of sheep.

a farmer's field, as seen from my gun turret.

Die mountain!!

the Kunar River

my gun turret.




1 comment:

  1. Did you ever have to shoot your gun at enemy peoples? Or did you just have the guns as like an intimidation technique? Did you hurt anyone? Do you get to take home a cool prize gun after your tour is over? Tell me about you life over there. I want to know if it was hard. I want to know everything.

    ReplyDelete