Saturday, September 12, 2009

Finally, a post from Joe!

Hi guys!
OK, so here's an update on Joe, Leah, Cannon, and the little brother in the tummy. Since I guess I haven't ever posted, I have to start pretty early... I'm mostly done applying to medical schools, I think that I'm going to stop at one or two more secondaries. I have an interview on Sept. 25 at Baylor, (Houston), so I'll be spending some quality time with David and Jasmine Hall (Leah's sister's family), which I'm excited about because their baby Ben is about the cutest little kid I've ever seen in a YouTube video, so I'm excited to see him in person. I also have an interview at UT Southwestern on October 10th, (which I just found out is the same weekend as my mission reunion in Utah, but what can you do?), so I'm planning on a couple of days with the family, and might even bring Cannon with me to give Leah a weekend off. Still not sure on that one, I need to find out if I can change my airplane ticket to Adult + toddler. So that will be fun. As far as med school interviews, there are thusfar no other bites yet, but my line is in the water until February, so I'm not too worried. I'm taking 18 credit hours this semester, I'm taking mostly upper division physics classes along with Biochemistry and (yawn) general college chemistry. So far, I'm having a great time being back in the swing of things with school. I really enjoy school, which is good, because I'm not going to be out of it for a long time...
Leah just got her hair cut super short like it was at our wedding. It looks good, and it's nice to have a change every now and then. She is taking a class at BYU this semester, Western Humanities, so when she's done with that she'll know how to be a human. Our plan is to go back to DFW (that's Dallas-Ft Worth for the Texas-illiterate out there) next summer after I graduate and Leah will finish the four last classes she needs for her Associates of Arts degree over the summer before I start medical school, wherever that is. If it's Southwestern, then we'll probably start looking for a permanent place to stay throughout the summer and stay with Leah's parents until then (they have extra room and it's free).
Cannon has six pearly whites to date, 4 on top and 2 on bottom. Right now he seems to be (finally!) taking a break from teething. Unfortunately, the last couple days he has come down with a stomach flu, and is not feeling too good. Today he seems a bit better (he hasn't thrown up all day), so we're hoping that it is close to being done, and that we won't be getting it either. We'll see. He is saying "mom" and "daddy" all the time now; whether that means that he understand what he is saying is yet to be conclusively demonstrated, but it seems like he does. We don't really know which one was first, so we officially tied for favorite status.
The unborn baby in our family seems to be doing fine, Leah is doing very well with this pregnancy. We're excited for two boys, it'll be so much easier since we already have everything we need basically. We've joked about naming this one Joseph so that we'll have a John and Joe, we'll see if that happens. I've been reading in the Old Testament and when I read about the sons of Jacob, I really liked what was written about the name Asher. So right now, I'm partial to that one, but if by a freak accident we have a premature baby that's born before Sara's, we might just use Caleb. I hope that doesn't happen, but you might want to make a contingency plan just in case, Gwee. Just kidding. Leah and I are amazed at how fast this pregnancy is going by. We're over halfway now, and it seems like that due date will be here before we can say "man-to-man defense." (or "finals week," for that matter-- he's due on the day after finals end, so we're hoping he comes pretty early or a bit late).
In other news, Leah's dad came up for about a week, and we went up to Monticello lake to go camping and fishing. We had little luck for most of the day, then saw an old-timer drive up, and pull fish out of the water every other cast. While I was digging for worms with a very enthusiastic 4-year-old, Leah went over and asked him what his secret was. When we learned the right way to do things, we caught 7 fish in about an hour and a half. It was really fun. They were all rainbow trout, and were very tasty.
In short, life is good. We are doing well, and are happy in our tiny little apartment. Hope this finds all of you well, we love you.
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment